Salman Khan has confirmed his appearance at the Arab Indo Bollywood Awards (AIBA) in Dubai despite awaiting court permission to travel, the show organizer says.
The 49-year-old Bollywood star was convicted and sentenced to 5 years in jail for killing a homeless man in a hit-and-run case but was bailed pending an appeal.
Salman Khan has sought leave from the High Court of Bombay to travel to Dubai on May 29, the Press Trust of India reported.
The Arab Indo Bollywood Awards said Salman Khan confirmed his attendance last week. He is down to star in the finale.
Salman Khan is one of the most bankable stars in Bollywood with a huge fan base. He has appeared in more than 80 Hindi-language films.
The decision to suspend his sentence was welcomed by his fans but others argued that most do not have the benefit of having cases expedited in the same way.
Salman Khan was convicted of culpable homicide on May 6 and sentenced to five years.
A man was killed and four others injured in 2002 when Salman Khan ran them over as they slept on a pavement in Mumbai.
On May 8, the High Court granted Salman Khan bail and suspended his sentence pending the hearing and disposal of his appeal against the conviction.
However, the PTI reports the high court had said Salman Khan would need to seek the court’s permission to leave India.
Al Bustan Group which is organising the Arab Indo Bollywood Awards – being held for the first time – said Salman Khan confirmed he would attend last week and “there is no legal problem for him to travel abroad”.
Salman Khan would arrive in Dubai on May 28 and perform two dances. The actor is listed on the event website as being in the finale act.
Salman Khan’s application was filed on Wednesday, said PTI, and it is likely to be heard next week.