Turkish civilian planes are no longer allowed to fly over Syria, Damascus has said, amid growing tensions between the two neighboring countries.
The ban took effect at midnight on Saturday.
This comes just days after Turkey intercepted a Syrian-bound plane, claiming it carried Russian-made munitions for the Syrian army.
Syria has described the claim as a lie, challenging Ankara to put the seized goods on public view.
The Syrian foreign ministry said its ban on Turkish flights was in retaliation for a similar move from Ankara.
Turkey has not announced such a measure, although it has said it will continue to ground Syrian civilian planes it suspects are carrying military cargo.
Tensions have been recently rising between the two countries after a series of cross-border incidents.
Last week, there were several days of firing across the border after five Turkish civilians were killed by Syrian shelling.
Turkey’s government has backed the Syrian opposition and called for the resignation of President Bashar al-Assad.
In Syria itself, there were reports on Saturday that rebels had shot down a Syrian military jet outside Aleppo – the town at the centre of recent fighting.
Footage posted online showed the burning wreckage of what appeared to be an aircraft, but the claim has not been independently verified.
Meanwhile, Human Rights Watch has accused the government of President bashar al-Assad of dropping cluster bombs – which are banned by more than 100 countries – into populated areas.
The group said there was a number of credible reports that the number of cluster bomb strikes had increased dramatically in recent days.
Syria refuses to join the Convention on Cluster Munitions, which bans the use of such weapons.
In a separate development, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayip Erdogan told a conference in Istanbul that the UN’s failure to act in Syria gave President Assad the green light to kill tens or hundreds of people every day.
Turkey may not be at war with Syria, but it is now increasingly involved in its neighbor’s conflict.
Recep Tayip Erdogan’s comments come as the UN-Arab League envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, had talks in Istanbul with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to hear Ankara’s perspective on the crisis.
No breakthroughs were expected, and none were reported after the meeting.
Surgeons at Hacettepe University Hospital in Ankara, Turkey, have today performed the world’s first ever quadruple limb transplant, attaching two arms and two legs to a young man.
The operation took 20 hours to complete and required 50 doctors to help attach the limbs.
Head physician Dr. Murat Tuncer today appealed for blood donations to overcome possible complications following the surgery.
Dr. Murat Tuncer did not provide any details about the patient.
The operation comes after a failed triple limb transplant two months ago at another hospital in the southern city of Antalya.
The doctors there were forced to remove a leg from a patient due to tissue incompatibility. The same patient also received two arms.
Surgeons at Hacettepe University Hospital in Ankara, Turkey, have today performed the world's first ever quadruple limb transplant, attaching two arms and two legs to a young man
Dr. Murat Tuncer says his team also performed a separate face transplant on another patient yesterday – the second in Turkey this year.
The first in the country was performed on Turkish teenager Ugur Acar, who lost 70% of his face when he was just two-years-old in a TV tube explosion, at Akdeniz University’s School of Medicine in Antalya.
Doctors successfully transplanted tissue from the face of a 45-year-old donor to 19-year-old Ugur Acar in January but doctors have said he will not be able to make facial expressions for another six months.
Connie Culp, from America, was the first ever successful recipient of a face transplant, performed at the Cleveland Clinic in December 2008.
She was shot in the face by her husband Thomas Culp in a failed murder-suicide in September 2004 outside a bar in Hopedale, Ohio.
Two people have been killed and other 10 have been injured after an explosion rocked the centre of the Turkish capital, Ankara.
The cause of the explosion remains unclear.
Thick smoke could be seen rising from the commercial area of Kizilay in central Ankara.
Two people have been killed and other 10 have been injured after an explosion rocked the centre of the Turkish capital, Ankara
A fire started briefly, but was quickly contained by firefighters, reports say.
Several vehicles were damaged and the glass in the windows of nearby buildings shattered, TV reports.
TV footages showed several parked cars ablaze in front of a local state authority’s offices.
Police have cordoned off the area. A bomb squad was also deployed to the location of the blast, reports say.
The injured people are said to have been taken to a city hospital.