Home Health J&J Talc-Powder Case: Gloria Ristesund to Receive $55 Million in Compensation

J&J Talc-Powder Case: Gloria Ristesund to Receive $55 Million in Compensation


J&J has been ordered to pay more than $55 million in compensation to Gloria Ristesund, who says the company’s talcum powder caused her ovarian cancer.

Gloria Ristesund, 62, said she used Johnson & Johnson’s talc-based powder products for decades.

J&J – which faces about 1,200 similar claims – insists its products are safe and says it will appeal.

Researchers say links with ovarian cancer are unproven.

In February, the pharmaceutical company paid $72 million in a similar case.Talc powder ovarian cancer

Gloria Ristesund was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011 and had to undergo a hysterectomy and related surgeries. Her cancer is now in remission.

Following a three-week trial in a Missouri state court, Gloria Ristesund was awarded $5 million in compensatory damages and $50 million in punitive damages.

Gloria Ristesund’s lawyer, Jere Beasley, said his client was gratified with the verdict. The jury’s decision should “end the litigation”, he said, and force J&J to settle the remaining cases.

J&J spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said the verdict contradicted 30 years of research supporting the safety of cosmetic talc.

She said the company intends to appeal and will keep defending its products’ safety.

The case follows another one in February, in which J&J was ordered to pay $72 million to the family of a woman who claimed her death was linked to use of the company’s Baby Powder talc.

Jackie Fox from Birmingham, Alabama, who died of ovarian cancer in 2015 at the age of 62, had used the talc for decades.

Her family argued that J&J knew of talc risks and failed to warn users.

The company is appealing against that verdict, which sparked renewed interest in talc-powder lawsuits.

Lawyers accuse J&J of failing to warn that talc was linked to an increased risk for ovarian cancer – a claim the company denies. There are 1,200 other cases pending.

J&J shares were down 18 cents in after-hours trading to $112.57.