If you’ve not taken the plunge into the world of eBooks, there’s probably a lot of reasons why. Maybe you prefer the feel of physical books, and no one can deny how good a full bookshelf looks in your sitting room. However, maybe now you’ve been thinking about checking them out and catching up with current technology.
If you’re looking for reasons why you should make the switch, look no further. Below are the top reasons why eBooks are the future of publishing.
- There’s thousands to choose from: Whichever store you choose to buy from, you’ll find thousands of titles right at your finger tips. Whether you’re looking for the latest blockbuster or a classic title, they’ll be right there and always available for purchase. You can be reading any title in a matter of minutes. Nook lists the bestselling eBooks in its dedicated online store, so it’s a great place to get started.
- It’s easy to download a book: No matter what device you use to read, it’s so simple to find and download any title you want. Simply search for the book you want, or browse through the store. Once you find the one you want, click ‘buy’ and the title will be downloaded to your device. It really is as easy as that.
- There’s multiple ways to read: If there’s a device you like to use, there’s probably a way to read eBooks on it. You can buy a dedicated e-reader, or download the app on your smartphone or tablet. EBook Friendly notes that if you currently own a device that you feel you aren’t using to its full advantage, using it to read eBooks could be the answer.
- There’s a wealth of free books available: Browsing through an eBook store, you’ll find that many classic titles are being offered for free. If you’ve always wanted to read the works of Charles Dickens or Jane Austen, now’s your chance. There’s also often free books being offered by new and emerging authors, so if you want to try something new, it simply couldn’t be easier or cheaper to do so.
- Carry your whole collection in your pocket: EPublisher’s Weekly states that eBooks are hugely portable. An entire library’s worth of files could be held on just one DVD or USB drive. If you like to have a few books on you at all times, then eBooks are a much easier way of doing so. It’s also easier on your bag and your shoulders.
- They’re great for students: High school and college students will know the pain of lugging around large textbooks every day, as well as the pain of paying for them. EBooks solve the problem by being cheaper to buy and much more portable. As a bonus, students can use their e-reader to highlight passages or make notes on their texts, making assignments a breeze. If you know a student just entering the academic year, an e-reader could be a gratefully received gift.
- Change your preferences on the fly: If you struggle to read small text in regular books, or read text against the traditional white background, eBooks could be the answer. You can change text size or color to suit your needs, making reading much easier with little effort.
- They’re good for the environment: You probably hadn’t considered this, but eBooks are much better for the environment than physical books. Success Net states that eBooks basically eliminate the need for trees to be felled for books, saving whole forests in one fell swoop.
- They take up much less space: As mentioned earlier, it can be satisfying to decorate your home with shelves full of well thumbed books. However, not everyone has the luxury of space to display their favorite tomes. Until you win the lottery and buy the country manor of your dreams, store all your books on one small device, and save that space for the essentials.
- E-readers are designed for ultimate readability: If you buy a dedicated e-reader, you may not notice straight away but they’re designed very cleverly to be the ultimate reading machine. Snarky Nomad lists ten design features that help the reader out, including the lack of page curvature, the ability to read a book one handed, and the inclusion of a dictionary to look up unfamiliar words. You probably didn’t even know you wanted these features until you had them in your hand.
If you weren’t convinced before, you probably are now. EBooks are the ultimate in portability, choice, and ease of use. When you put it like that, what are you waiting for? Take the plunge now, and discover a whole new world of fantastic literature from the comfort of your own home.