The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Luis Suarez’s four-month ban, but the Uruguay striker can now train with new club Barcelona.
A full explanation of the ruling will not be published until a later date.
Luis Suarez’s lawyers argued world governing body FIFA’s decision to suspend him from all “football-related activity” for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup was excessive.
Luis Suarez, 27, will be available from El Clasico at Real Madrid on October 26.
The Uruguay striker will continue to serve a nine-match international ban but, having previously been banned from all “football-related activity”, he can now train and attend matches.
“The sanctions imposed on the player by FIFA have been generally confirmed,” the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said in a statement.
CAS described the ban imposed by FIFA on Luis Suarez from taking part in any football activity as “excessive”.
The panel ruled banning Luis Suarez from training would have meant the ban would still have an impact on the player after the end of the suspension.
Luis Suarez’s legal team said the appeal was a success after they argued FIFA had “misapplied its own rules when considering the case and the sanction it imposed was disproportionate”.
Although the team confirmed the possibility of appealing the CAS decision to the Swiss Supreme Court, the grounds for appeal are “very restricted”.
Luis Suarez was a Liverpool player at the time of his clash with Giorgio Chiellini but has since left to join Barcelona in a $120 million deal.