South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court for the first time since he was freed on bail over the killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp earlier this year.
After a brief hearing in Pretoria, the magistrate agreed to a request from both prosecution and defense to postpone the hearing until August 19.
Oscar Pistorius, 26, shot Reeva Steenkamp, 29, through the bathroom door of his house in Pretoria on February 14, 2013.
The Paralympic champion denies committing murder, saying he mistook her for an intruder.
Oscar Pistorius wore a grey suit and appeared composed as he arrived at court to meet a barrage of photographers and journalists. He was surrounded by his family and friends for the hearing.
He spoke only once, confirming: “Yes, Your Honour” when asked if he understood the magistrate’s comments.
Both the prosecution and the defense teams asked that the hearing be postponed until August 19 to give them more time to prepare their case.
Magistrate Daniel Thulare agreed to the postponement and extended Oscar Pistorius’s bail conditions until that date.
On Monday, Oscar Pistorius’ family said they were “shaken” by leaked, graphic photos published by Sky News, which showed the bathroom where Reeva Steenkamp was killed.
Police said they were “disgusted” by the leak.
Oscar Pistorius is a double amputee who won gold at the London 2012 Paralympic Games and also competed in the Olympics.
His arrest in February stunned many South Africans who saw him as a national sporting hero after his long legal battle to be able to compete in the Olympics.
The prosecution has accused Oscar Pistorius of premeditated murder, alleging that he killed Reeva Steenkamp intentionally after a fight.
Oscar Pistorius was freed on a bail of 1 million rand ($110,000). A court in March eased his travel restrictions, allowing him to leave South Africa to compete as long as he complied with certain conditions.