Former FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF President Jack Warner has said that he will reveal all he knows about corruption at the world soccer body.
In an address on Trinidadian TV on June 3, Jack Warner, who said he feared for his life, also said he could link FIFA officials to general elections in his native Trinidad and Tobago in 2010.
The 72-year-old is one of the 14 people charged by the US over alleged corruption at FIFA.
Another top FIFA official and key witness, American Chuck Blazer, has admitted accepting bribes.
The admissions came in a newly released transcript of Chuck Blazer’s guilty plea from 2013, as part of a wide-ranging US criminal case that has engulfed FIFA and led President Sepp Blatter to resign.
The DoJ alleges the 14 people charged worldwide accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150 million over a 24-year period. Four others have already been charged, including Chuck Blazer.
Jack Warner resigned from all soccer activity in 2011 amid bribery allegations and later stepped down as Trinidad and Tobago’s security minister amid a fraud inquiry.
A key figure in the deepening scandal, Jack Warner said he had given lawyers documents outlining the links between FIFA, its funding, himself and the 2010 election in Trinidad and Tobago. He said the transactions also included Sepp Blatter.
In the TV address entitled The Gloves Are Off, Jack Warner said: “I will no longer keep secrets for them who actively seek to destroy the country.”
He promised an “avalanche” of revelations to come, speaking to his supporters at a rally later the same day.
Jack Warner, who denies the charges against him and faces extradition to the US, was released on bail after handing himself in to police in the Trinidad and Tobago capital of Port of Spain last week.
He resigned from FIFA’s executive committee in 2011 amid allegations he had bribed his Caribbean associates.
Jack Warner’s address came hours after the details of Chuck Blazer’s 2013 plea bargain came to light, including the admission that he and other officials had accepted bribes in connection with the 2010 World Cup bid, which saw the tournament awarded to South Africa.
On June 4, South African police said they had opened a preliminary investigation into allegations its national soccer association paid a $10 million bribe to host the tournament – a claim the authorities deny.
While nothing related to the World Cup is as serious as the 48 people who were killed in Kenya while watching the tournament, there have been other costs that are also serious. The games have brought about tremendous cost for those who attended them, and also for the countries who hosted them. These countries have ended up having to spend tremendous amounts of money on security, and also on the property being utilized. The cleanup costs in some of these areas are estimated to be greater than the revenue that was generated, and this has called the sustainability of the tournament into question.
The World Cup soccer tournament is the most popular sporting event on Earth
The World Cup soccer tournament is the most popular sporting event on Earth, because soccer is played all over the world. This type of fanfare is going to continue to drive the sport to the forefront of the sports world, but there needs to be more of an effort to make it sustainable. Those in charge of the event need to begin looking at not only the financial cost, but also the costs that are not tallied which hosting areas must endure. While no one wants the World Cup to go anywhere, there is a whole lot of room for improvement.
The amount of water being used in the World Cup is not the only problem though, waste water is very hazardous, and a sample use case of a plumbing disaster in Anaheim, where the Ducks play hockey and large concerts are played, is a catastrophe just waiting to happen. The type of plumbing used both in California and at the World Cup could be modified in order to accommodate the high demand and low supply of water. Without the right infrastructural accommodations being made, there is a chance that a water shortage could end up causing a lot of trouble for everyone concerned.
The infrastructural adaptations that a large scale sporting event requires, is always going to test the tolerance of any city center, but there are preparations that can be made. When it comes to water, having an ample supply of bottled water for visitors to the city can help to cut back on the impact with regard to the local water supply. Utilizing portable toilets in crowded areas as opposed to traditional toilets will cut back on the impact to the local sewer system. While these techniques were utilized at the World Cup this year, they should have been used a whole lot more than they were.
The worst performance at a World Cup by England, period. Eliminated just 8 days into the tournament and after only two games for the first time in the proud nation’s history.
It was never going to be easy. It wasn’t a great surprise that England were eliminated before the second round but the manner in which it happened left a bitter taste in the mouth.
Two defeats in which England had more possession of the ball, more shots on goal but allowed the opposition to score twice in each match with some of their only attempts on goal.
Manager Roy Hodgson has the backing of the English FA. Captain Steven Gerrard wants at least a week to decide over his England future. Wayne Rooney is “hurt”, apparently.
England was eliminated after just 8 days into the World Cup soccer tournament (photo Nike)
The two England performances against Uruguay and Italy were barely encouraging. While England weren’t exactly favourites for lifting the World Cup, they were still expected to get one win out of two games. The exciting football that the team played was a treat and a rarity it must be said. The Sunday League defending and the lack of opportunities created were a big reason for England to catch the plane home early.
Only 8 nations at the 2014 World Cup had a younger squad than England. That included having 34-year old Steven Gerrard and now 36-year old Frank Lampard.
England took the most under-21 players to the tournament of all 32 nations – 18-year old Luke Shaw, 19-year old Raheem Sterling and 20-year olds Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ross Barkley.
Liverpool’s Sterling has already started both of England’s games at this World Cup, whilst Everton’s Barkley has made substitute appearances in both. Arsenal’s Chamberlain was not fit for either of the two previous matches, but if all four of these players are given a start against Costa Rica, alongside some of the senior players – surely this can only be a positive thing for England’s future.
Manager Hodgson admitted in Thursday’s press conference that he wanted to give as many of his 23-man squad an appearance during the tournament. 15 members of the squad have already made an appearance.
Two goalkeepers; Fraser Forster (26) and Ben Foster (31) are joined by Phil Jones (22), Frank Lampard (36), James Milner (28), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (20), Luke Shaw (18) and Chris Smalling (24) as those yet to play.
There’s a handful of names in this squad you think could be very great in two or four years’ time at the next tournaments provided England qualify. But how many of these do you predict to be World Class players?
How many of these players are going to go on to become the next Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Sergio Agüero, Franck Ribéry or Arjen Robben?
Since the decline of Wayne Rooney, the retirements of David Beckham and Michael Owen and the aging Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard – England now desperately need to be on the lookout for developing World Class players in the very near future if they’re even to consider reaching the final four of a major tournament, let-alone winning it.
Compared to the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands, England simply don’t have the strength in depth and until that is developed the manager can only do the best with the blunt tools he has been given.
Police and protesters clashed in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro following the death of a young man allegedly beaten by police.
Violent protests broke out in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday after the body of a 25-year-old man, Douglas Rafael da Silva Pereira, was found in the Pavao-Pavaozinho favela near the Copacabana beach.
Douglas Rafael da Silva Pereira regularly appeared on Brazil’s largest TV network, Globo.
Main streets through the tourist area of Copacabana were closed as angry demonstrators from a nearby favela set barricades of tires alight.
The unrest started after a dancer was killed by police who reportedly mistook him for a drug trafficker.
It comes less than two months before Brazil hosts the football World Cup.
Police and protesters clashed in Rio de Janeiro following the death of Douglas Rafael da Silva Pereira (photo Reuters)
One man was shot dead during the violence on Tuesday night, local media quoted officials as saying. A 12-year-old boy was also reportedly wounded.
Witnesses said cars were set ablaze, a police station was attacked and gunfire could be heard from the Pavao-Pavaozinho favela.
Douglas Rafael da Silva, a professional dancer, was reportedly found dead inside a school earlier on Tuesday.
According to his family, his body was covered in wounds and they accused local police of beating him to death after mistaking him for a member of a local drugs gang.
The circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation, AFP news agency quoted police as saying.
“An on-site report indicates Douglas’s injuries are compatible with a death caused by a fall,” the police statement said.
Amnesty International says some 2,000 people die every year in Brazil due to police violence.
Huge crowds, demanding an explanation for the death, gathered near the entrance to the favela, which is just a few streets away from Rio’s famous beaches and tourist hot-spots.
Pavao-Pavaozinho is one of several Rio favelas or slums that have been part of the recent “pacification” program.
It is an attempt by the city authorities to drive the heavily armed drugs gangs away from the communities and to restore some peace and police authority ahead of the football World Cup in June and July.
World Cup 2014 will begin in Sao Paulo on June 12 and will end with the final in Rio’s famous Maracana stadium on July 13.
FIFA has admitted that Sao Paulo stadium where the opening match of the 2014 World Cup is due to be played in Brazil will not be ready until April.
“We have received information that it will be ready on 14 or 15 April,” said FIFA president Sepp Blatter.
However, Sepp Blatter reaffirmed that “there’s no plan B” and the opening match will go ahead as planned in Sao Paulo on June 12, 2014.
Five other stadia are still under construction.
Sao Paulo stadium where the opening match of the 2014 World Cup is due to be played in Brazil will not be ready until April
Two people died last week at the opening match venue – Sao Paulo’s Arena Corinthians, or Itaquerao – as a construction crane collapsed.
Sepp Blatter said the venues will be ready in time: “We believe it is a question of trust. It will be done.”
He was speaking at Costa do Sauipe, a seaside resort in Bahia state where on Friday FIFA will carry out the draw that will define the groups for the opening stage of the World Cup.
On Thursday, Brazil’s Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said six venues – in Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Cuiaba, Manaus and Natal – would miss FIFA’s original December 31 deadline and only be ready in January.
Brazil’s other six stadiums, including a revamped Maracana stadium in Rio, were opened ahead of last June’s Confederations Cup.
The Brazilian government’s preparations for the World Cup have been repeatedly criticized, as they have run over budget and behind schedule.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.