Authorities in most of the coronavirus affected countries have asked people to stop non-essential contact with others and avoid all unnecessary travel. This is known as social distancing.
Social distancing means trying to avoid contact with other people.
It means spending less time in public places, where a lot of people are around.
Usually, governments want:
- People to start working from home wherever possible
- All unnecessary travel stopped
- Restaurants, pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues to be avoided
- Stay at least 6ft from other people
- Keep away from vulnerable people
- Anyone living with someone who has a cough or a temperature to stay at home for 14 days.
Under the US coronavirus task force’s new guidelines, President Donald Trump has urged:
- All older Americans to stay home
- Work and schooling should be at home
- Discretionary travel, shopping trips and social visits should be avoided
- Anyone in a household who tests positive for the new coronavirus should stay at home along with everyone who lives there.