Canadian police arrested Justin Bourque suspected of killing three officers and wounding two others in Moncton, New Brunswick.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick tweeted that Justin Bourque was arrested just after midnight in Moncton.
News of the arrest came after a huge manhunt went into its second night.
Schools and government offices were closed and residents told to stay indoors during the operation.
Canadian police arrested Justin Bourque suspected of killing three officers and wounding two others in Moncton (photo The Gazette)
Police said residents of Moncton could now leave their homes.
A grainy image purporting to show Justin Bourque being taken into custody was circulating on social media.
The mayor of Moncton, George Leblanc, told CBC: “On the one hand we feel very happy, almost elated that this person has been arrested and this ordeal is over.
“But at the same time we have a great sense of sadness for the losses that our families have suffered.”
Earlier, police said the suspect, who was wearing camouflage gear and carrying rifles, had been spotted several times in north Moncton.
Dozens of police officers were seen scouring the search area with weapons drawn. Armoured security trucks were also visible.
One of the wounded Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers has been released from hospital, and one remains in hospital in a stable condition.
The officers were shot while responding to a report of an armed man at the north-west side of the town at about 20:00 local time on Wednesday.
It was the deadliest attack on Canada’s police force since four officers were killed by a gunman on a farm in the western province of Alberta in 2005.
[youtube Mm_fLZiBI1Y 650]
Moncton remains on lockdown as Canadian authorities hunt for suspect Justin Bourque accused of shooting five police officers, killing three, on Wednesday.
Officials say Justin Bourque, 24, was spotted multiple times early on Thursday morning.
They have warned people to stay inside and lock their doors.
The two wounded Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers are undergoing surgery in hospital and their conditions remain unknown.
“We have an armed and dangerous individual and we do not know where he is,” RCMP Commanding Officer Roger Brown told reporters, asking citizens to remain “vigilant”.
Moncton remains on lockdown as Canadian authorities hunt for suspect Justin Bourque
RCMP Supt. Marlene Snowman warned that the suspect was armed with high-powered firearms.
“He’s not known to us, he’s a young person,” she said.
“We’re doing a complete investigation to learn as much as we can about him, about his history, what may have sparked this.”
New Brunswick Premier David Alward said he felt “incredible grief” stemming from the incident.
The officers were shot while responding to a report of an armed man at the north-west side of the town at about 20:00 local time on Wednesday,
Police established road blocks in an effort to seal a perimeter around the residential area and combed nearby woods, searching through the night and into the morning.
Schools in the town are closed, buses are not running, and postal service has been suspended.
Pedestrians and motorists have been asked to stay away from the area.
Justin Bourque was spotted after daylight, but Marlene Snowman warned he was “very mobile”.
“There’s no question that we’re going to continue this search in order to apprehend him,” she said.
[youtube BJnslPcWULE 650]
Three police officers were shot dead and two wounded in the Canadian city of Moncton.
Police said they were searching for Justin Bourque, 24, who was “armed and dangerous”, and tweeted a picture of a suspect with weapons.
Officials have warned people to stay inside and lock their doors.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the officers were shot responding to reports of an armed man wearing camouflage clothing.
That initial call was at 19:20 local time.
Moncton police said they were searching for Justin Bourque who is armed and dangerous
The two wounded Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, a police spokesman said.
Mayor George LeBlanc said: “This is a terrible loss and a tragedy for the families.”
Officers have blocked off a number of roads in Moncton and traffic is reported to be backed up on major routes across the city.
Drivers have been asked to stay away from the area.
In a statement, New Brunswick Premier David Alward said he was “shocked and saddened”.
“I would ask New Brunswickers, particularly in those areas identified by police, to follow the situation as it develops and to listen to the advice of police,” he said.
Witnesses said they heard the first shots in north-west Moncton at about 20:00 local time. More shots were reported about two hours later.
Correspondents say such violence is rare in Canada, particularly on the east coast.
[youtube goLQQ0r7dOA 650]
[youtube u4Ma3LzWtEg 650]