North Korea hailed a test of “super large” multiple rocket launchers after two short-range missiles had been fired, the latest in a flurry of tests this month.
Just hours before, South Korea condemned the North as “inappropriate” for pursing tests amid the global coronavirus outbreak.
North Korea generally ramps up missile tests in the spring and the global virus outbreak has not deterred it.
The country has reported no virus cases, but experts have cast doubt on this.
The March 29 test was of two short-range ballistic missiles fired from the eastern city of Wonsan. They flew for 255 miles with a maximum altitude of around 30 miles before falling into the sea, the South Korean military said.
On March 30, North Korean state media outlet KCNA reported that it had successfully tested “super large” multiple rocket launchers.
By then South Korea had already condemned the North’s actions in a harshly-worded statement.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said: “In a situation where the entire world is experiencing difficulties due to Covid-19, this kind of military act by North Korea is very inappropriate and we call for an immediate halt.”
According to Reuters, the latest test marked the eighth and ninth missiles launched in four rounds of tests this month.
North Korea had earlier announced it would be holding a session of the Supreme People’s Assembly, the country’s parliament, on April 10. Analysts say the meeting will involve almost 700 of North Korea’s leaders in one spot.