Ahmed Mohamed Withdraws from MacArthur High School
Ahmed Mohamed, the Muslim teenager arrested after a homemade clock he brought to his school was mistaken for a bomb, has quit MacArthur High School in Texas, his family says.
The boy’s father, Mohamed El-Hassan Mohamed, said he had pulled all his children from schools in the area.
According to Mohamed El-Hassan Mohamed, the arrest had a harmful effect on his 14-year-old boy.
Ahmed Mohamed’s arrest has been sharply criticized and the charges against him were quickly dropped.
The boy was arrested at MacArthur High School in Irving, after officials thought the device he brought to school was a “hoax bomb”.
“Ahmed said: <<I don’t want to go to MacArthur>>,” Mohamed El-Hassan Mohamed told The Dallas Morning News on September 22.
“These kids aren’t going to be happy there.”
Ahmed Mohamed has received numerous enrolment offers from schools, his father said, adding that he wanted to give him a break before making a decision.
The entire family is set to fly to New York on September 23 where United Nations dignitaries want to meet Ahmed Mohamed.
After that, Mohamed El-Hassan Mohamed hopes to take his son on a pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
“I ask Allah to bless this time. After that, we’ll see,” the father said.
When they return, they plan to visit the White House to meet President Barack Obama, he said.
Ahmed Mohamed announced his plans to transfer schools at a news conference last week.
He told reporters it was “very sad” that his teacher thought his clock was a threat.
Ahmed Mohamed’s arrest has been sharply criticized, and the boy has received an outpouring of support including an invitation to the White House.