Omar Gonzalez: White House intruder made it to East Room
According to new reports, Omar Gonzalez, the man arrested for breaking into the White House earlier this month, gained access to more of the building than previously believed.
Omar Gonzalez, 42, made it to the East Room in the White House on September 19, unidentified officials told multiple news outlets.
It was earlier reported the intruder was stopped at the North Portico doors after scaling the building’s main fence.
The Secret Service boss will be questioned about the breach on September 30.
Lawmakers on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will ask Secret Service Director Julia Pierson to explain this latest lapse.
Omar Gonzalez – armed with a knife – barreled past a guard posted at the door of the White House and ran into the East Room before being tackled by authorities, unnamed officials told the Washington Post.
The long, ornately decorated room is frequently used for presidential addresses and formal receptions.
The Secret Service, responsible for President Barack Obama’s security, has so far declined to comment on the latest information.
The agency has undergone a review of its procedures in the wake of the breach and erected a temporary fence outside the White House.
Omar Gonzalez, meanwhile, has been charged with unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon.
The Iraq War veteran was previously stopped by Virginia police in July.
Officers found two powerful rifles, four handguns and other firearms and ammunition in Omar Gonzalez’s vehicle along with a map marking the White House.
An unnamed federal law enforcement official earlier told the Associated Press news agency Secret Service agents had interviewed Omar Gonzalez twice during the summer but concluded there was no evidence he was a security threat.
Barack Obama and his family were not at the White House when the intrusion happened, having departed about 10 minutes earlier by helicopter.
[youtube 3RvLZraTIcI 650]