George Zimmerman vs. DMX boxing match called off
Celebrity boxing match between rapper DMX and George Zimmerman has been called off, TMZ reported.
Promoter Damon Feldman said on Twitter that the match, which generated a public outcry this week, was called off because there’s “more to life than money.”
The potential match was set for March 1, which would have been the 19th birthday of Trayvon Martin, who was killed in 2012 by George Zimmerman. It would have pitted George Zimmerman, who was found not guilty in the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, against the trash-talking musician with a history of arrests, most of them drug or driving offenses.
Trayvon Martin’s shooting and George Zimmerman’s self-defense claim polarized the nation on issues of racial justice, stand your ground laws and gun control.
Damon Feldman as said on Twitter: “Just looked at my son and daughter today wow I’m so lucky those people must be in so much pain … all you people are right.”
After the fight between George Zimmerman and Earl Simmons, better known as DMX, was announced earlier this week, Damon Feldman met a barrage of criticism, with civil rights leader the Rev. Al Sharpton cautioning against glorifying Zimmerman.
The promoter also came under intense attack on Twitter. One Tweet to him said: “We just wish you could make a living without helping a killer profit from his deed.”
Damon Feldman’s tweets that the fight was called off were deleted from his Twitter feed.
After George Zimmerman’s acquittal, his lawyer said it would be difficult for his client, like defendants in other notorious crimes, to find normal employment.