Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death: Drugs and addiction treatment medication found in his apartment
New details about Philip Seymour Hoffman’s apparent drug overdose emerged Monday.
Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, was found dead in his New York City apartment just after 11:30 a.m. Sunday – with a hypodermic needle still in his arm.
According to law enforcement sources, authorities at the scene found roughly 50 bags of heroin, numerous syringes, addiction treatment medication, blood pressure medication, and a muscle relaxant.
Officials also discovered a few books about Truman Capote, the legendary author Philip Seymour Hoffman won an Academy Award for playing in the eponymous 2005 film.
Law enforcement officials also said that toxicology tests will likely determine Philip Seymour Hoffman’s cause of death.
A city police lab is testing unused heroin found in the actor’s apartment to determine potency.
It was too soon Monday to know if the heroin Philip Seymour Hoffman injected was tainted, if he mixed levels between two heroin “brands,” or if the actor took too much of the drug.
Authorities also found six bottles of prescription drugs – including the blood pressure medication clonidine hydrochloride; the addiction treatment drug buprenorphine; the attention-deficit disorder treatment drug vyvanse; the anti-anxiety drug hydroxyzine; and the muscle relaxer methocarbamol.
Three of the bottles had a prescription to Philip Seymour Hoffman on them, but the vyvanse, buprenorphine and hydroxyzine did not. It was not immediately clear if the latter three drugs were prescribed to Philip Seymour Hoffman but just not properly labeled.
Philip Seymour Hoffman had spoken openly about past substance abuse battles, saying he quit using drugs and alcohol and “got sober” at 22 years old.
However, in early 2013, Philip Seymour Hoffman checked himself into rehab for 10 days.
At the time, Philip Seymour Hoffman told TMZ that he had begun using prescription medicines, and his use escalated to heroin.
[youtube 82OmE825d1U 650]