4th of July Recipe: Patriotic ice cream cupcakes
These red, white and blue cupcakes are perfect for your 4th of July celebration with friends and family.
Red velvet cupcakes are layered with blue ice cream and frozen whipped cream topping – a festive way to turn cake and ice cream into a hand-held dessert.
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 1 quart blue moon ice cream, softened
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups marshmallow crème
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Blue colored sugar
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 11-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Working quickly, spread ice cream over cupcakes. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine cream and marshmallow crème; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe over cupcakes; decorate with sprinkles and colored sugar. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
Yield: 3 dozen.
As a substitute for blue moon ice cream, tint softened vanilla ice cream with blue food coloring.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cupcake equals 202 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.