Earlier reports claimed that Elton John was to attend his friend Whitney Houston’s funeral and, when he cancelled his Friday and Saturday concerts at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, many fans thought that’s where he was.
But Sir Elton John has responded to the reports, saying the shows were cut because he was sick with food poisoning, not because he was bidding farewell to the troubled star.
A statement on Elton John’s official website said: “Elton’s management would like to apologize to all the ticket buyers who were disappointed over this unavoidable cancellation.
“Also, they would like to respond to various online rumors that Elton attended the funeral of Whitney Houston on Saturday.
“This is completely untrue. The only reason Elton did not play his concerts over the weekend is because he was too ill.”
Elton John had been due to perform as part of his residency at the Caesar’s Palace.
The statement also promised full refunds to fans.
A spokesperson for Elton John told website TMZ he is feeling “much better now” and will be ready for his next concert later this week, in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Elton John was performing in Las Vegas on the previous Saturday when he heard about Whitney Houston’s death.
The singer dedicated his track Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me to Whitney Houston.
Addressing the crowd that night Elton John said: “This is a sad day today, most of you must know by now the news of Whitney Houston passing away.
“About six years ago I was here in Vegas with some friends and we spent the whole afternoon on YouTube looking at Whitney’s work from a long time ago, and you forget – with all the troubles she went through – how brilliant, she was.
“So, my dearest, gorgeous, lovely angel, we want to do this song for you. Thank you for giving us your talent and one of the most beautiful voices I’ve ever heard in my life.”