Spanish media have named 18-year-old Moussa Oubakir as the suspect.
Moussa Oubakir is the brother of Driss Oubakir, whose documentation was allegedly used to rent the van involved in the attack.
Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has condemned what he called a “jihadist attack”. He has announced three days of national mourning and a minute’s silence was held at noon on August 18.
Seven people, including a police officer, were wounded when a car was driven into them on August 18 in the morning, Catalan emergency services said. One later died in hospital.
Image source Twitter
The attackers’ vehicle overturned and when the men got out they were quickly fired upon by police, media say. One was reportedly brandishing a knife.
According to police, the men were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts and a series of controlled explosions was carried out. The belts proved to be fake, Catalan regional head Carles Puigdemont later told local radio.
Police say the situation in Cambrils – a popular seaside resort 68 miles south-west of Barcelona – is now under control.
Witnesses said the van deliberately targeted people, weaving from side to side.
The driver of the van, believed to be the sole attacker, fled on foot and is still being hunted by police.
Las Ramblas is a central boulevard that runs 0.75 miles through the center of Barcelona from the city’s Plaça de Catalunya (Catalonia Square) to the Christopher Columbus monument at the seafront.
Citizens of some 24 countries were killed or injured in the Las Ramblas attack, the Catalan government has said.
The confirmed dead are: Spaniard Francisco López Rodríguez, who was in his 60s; Italian Bruno Gulotta, 35; unnamed Italian; unnamed Belgian.
France’s foreign ministry said on August 18 that 26 French nationals were injured, with at least 11 in a serious condition.
Another 13 German citizens were wounded, some seriously. A 5-year-old Irish boy suffered a broken leg.
Hong Kong, Taiwan and Greece are among those saying their citizens were injured. Pakistani, Philippine, Venezuelan, Australian, Romanian, Peruvian, Dutch, Danish, Algerian and Chinese nationals were also among the casualties, officials said.
Two people were detained on August 17 over the Las Ramblas attack, but not the driver of the van.
One of those held is Driss Oubakir, whose documents were used to rent the van, local media say.
According to local media, Driss Oubakir is in his 20s, and was born in Morocco. However, latest reports suggest he has told police he was not involved, and that his documents were stolen.
Spanish media also report that his younger brother, Moussa Oubakir, rented two vans, the one used in the attack and another found hours later in the town of Vic, north of Barcelona, and intended as a getaway vehicle.
The second man arrested was born in Melilla, the autonomous Spanish city on the north coast of Africa. He has not been named.
On August 18, Spanish police announced a third arrest had been made in the Catalan town of Ripoll.
ISIS has said it was behind the Las Ramblas attack, saying in a brief statement carried by its Amaq news outlet that it was carried out by “Islamic State soldiers”. The group gave no further evidence or details to back this claim.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.