Home Tags Posts tagged with "toronto"
Chris Brown has been forced to cancel shows in Montreal and Toronto after Canadian officials stopped him from entering the country.
The singer wrote in a tweet on February 24: “The good people of the Canadian government wouldn’t allow me entry. I’ll be back this summer and will hopefully see all my Canadian fans!”
Canada did not give a reason for denying entry to Chris Brown.
But authorities can declare someone “criminally inadmissible.”
Chris Brown was sentenced to five years of probation for assaulting singer Rihanna before the Grammy Awards in 2009.
Since then the musician has violated the terms of his probation on several occasions.
Live Nation – the promoter of Chris Brown’s Between The Sheets tour – confirmed that the shows were cancelled “due to immigration issues”.
The singer’s spokeswoman, Nicole Perna, said Canadian immigration officials denied Chris Brown entry but said that the musician can apply to return at a later date and plans to do so.
[youtube s87kQ8Ee6XM 650]
An assault charge against Justin Bieber stemming from an alleged 2013 attack on a limo driver in Toronto has been dropped by the Canadian prosecutors.
A driver who picked up Justin Bieber and his entourage from a nightclub in December 2013 said one of the passengers struck him.
However, a prosecutor said on September 8 the evidence could not prove the singer was the assailant.
Justin Bieber still faces separate assault charges in his native Ontario.
In August, police said Justin Bieber crashed his quad bike into a minivan in Stratford, and was arrested after allegedly getting to a fight with the other vehicle’s driver.
Ontario Provincial Police released him on a promise to appear in court on September 29 on charges of assault and dangerous driving.
Justin Bieber has had multiple legal troubles over the past year but has avoided jail time (photo Getty Images)
His lawyer, Brian Greenspan, has said Justin Bieber’s “peaceful retreat in Stratford this weekend was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of the paparazzi”.
“This has regrettably resulted in charges of dangerous driving and assault.”
In the December 2013 case involving the limo driver, prosecutor David Mitchell told a court the Crown had decided to withdraw the charge after a review of the evidence indicated the prosecution would be unable to confirm the assailant was Justin Bieber.
“There were a number of people in the vehicle seated behind the driver at the time of the incident and the Crown is not in a position to establish the identity of the person who came into contact with the complainant beyond a reasonable doubt based on the available evidence,” David Mitchell said, according to the Toronto Sun.
Justin Bieber has had multiple legal troubles over the past year but has avoided jail time.
Last month Justin Bieber pleaded guilty in Florida to careless driving and resisting arrest in a deal that avoided a drugged-driving conviction.
[youtube u7PE3sYoxZI 650]
In July, Justin Bieber pleaded no contest to a vandalism charge in California for throwing eggs at a neighbor’s house.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was out in the street celebrating Canada men’s hockey win over Sweden at Sochi Winter Games when he ran into a fire hydrant and appeared to injure his groin.
Rob Ford hurt his groin running into a hydrant
Justin Bieber has been charged with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto last month.
Justin Bieber, 19, handed himself in at a Toronto police station where he was mobbed by TV crews, news photographers and screaming teenage fans.
The charge comes a week after he was arrested and charged for a separate incident in Florida for driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
A lawyer for Justin Bieber said his client was innocent.
Justin Bieber handed himself in at a Toronto police station where he was mobbed by TV crews, news photographers and screaming teenage fans
Toronto police say that Justin Bieber was one of six people picked up by a limousine outside a nightclub in the early hours of December 30.
“While driving the group to a hotel, an altercation occurred between one of the passengers and the driver of the limousine,” a police statement said.
“In the course of the altercation, a man struck the limousine driver on the back of the head several times.
“The driver stopped the limousine, exited the vehicle and called police. The man who struck him left the scene before police arrived.”
After surrendering to police on Wednesday, Justin Bieber was charged with one count of assault and is scheduled to appear in court in Toronto on March 10.
Howard Weitzman, Justin Bieber’s lawyer in California, said the entertainer was innocent and that he expected the case to be treated as a summary offence, which is the equivalent of a misdemeanor in the US.
[youtube ExCl62L56ic 650]
Disgraced Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has filed re-election papers.
Rob Ford – who admitted to once smoking crack cocaine while in a “drunken stupor” – revealed his new campaign slogan: “Ford more years.”
“I’ve got the strongest track record,” he told journalists.
“I’ve been the best mayor this city has ever had.”
Rob Ford is the sole candidate so far for the October 27 municipal election, but rivals are expected to challenge him.
Rob Ford is the sole candidate so far for the October 27 municipal election
The conservative mayor was first elected in 2010 to lead Canada’s largest city on a pledge to tackle wasteful spending at city hall.
Rob Ford said it was for the voters ultimately to deliver their verdict on his personal problems.
He told reporters on Thursday: “My track record speaks for itself. We’ve got the lowest taxes than any other major city in North America.
“The city is absolutely booming… I’ve dealt with the issues that other mayors couldn’t deal with.”
Rob Ford put Toronto in the international spotlight in November when he admitted having once smoked crack cocaine “in a drunken stupor”.
In the fallout from the drug scandal, political opponents stripped Rob Ford of most of his mayoral powers as he insisted he would run for office again.
Rob Ford has brushed aside pressure to quit and remains popular in some of Toronto’s more conservative suburban areas.
[youtube IXZJghY9z-o 650]
More than half a million households in the north-eastern US and the south-eastern Canada are still without electricity after last weekend’s severe ice storm.
Utility crews are working round-the-clock, but warn that some homes could be without power at least until Saturday.
In Toronto, 72,000 people were without electricity on Christmas Day, officials in Canada’s Ontario province said.
At least 27 deaths in the region have been linked to the storm.
Most of those were caused by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning as people used gas generators, charcoal stoves and other appliances to heat their homes in freezing temperatures.
In Toronto, 72,000 people were without electricity on Christmas Day
“I understand they want to keep warm, but you cannot do this. This is deadly,” Toronto Mayor Rob Ford warned earlier this week.
Other fatalities were caused by traffic accidents.
Elsewhere in Canada, tens of thousands of people are still without power in New Brunswick and Quebec, and hundreds in Nova Scotia.
In the US, states from Maine to Michigan have been affected by the adverse weather.
Travel between Toronto and Montreal, Ottawa and New York had been disrupted.
Environment Canada meteorologist David Phillips warned earlier this week that the ice would remain as temperatures stayed below freezing.
[youtube lhBdIEEcl_M 650]
A massive ice storm has brought snow and freezing rain to Toronto, and to much of the east of Canada.
The storm has left some 400,000 people in the region without electricity and forced the closure of parts of its public transport system.
Travelers were stranded at airports in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal as dozens of flights were cancelled or delayed.
At least 11 deaths have been blamed on the storm system in the US and Canada.
Toronto’s Mayor Rob Ford called the storm “one of the worst storms in Toronto history,” saying that a state of emergency may be called on Monday.
Rob Ford said the city’s top priority is restoring power to two hospitals, Sunnybrook and Toronto East General.
The Toronto Hydro power company said that it may take up to 72 hours to get everybody in the city reconnected.
A massive ice storm has brought snow and freezing rain to Toronto, and to much of the east of Canada
Many flights were also cancelled in the US due to the storm, at one of the busiest travel periods of the year.
More than 400,000 people were also left without power in Michigan, New York state and New England.
The US’s National Weather Service described the storm system as “complex and large”, warning that “another round of snow and ice” was expected for New England on Monday as the storm winds down.
At least four people were killed by flooding caused by the storm in Kentucky, while a tornado was reported to have caused extensive damage in Arkansas.
However, the system has also brought record high temperatures to some parts of the east coast of the US, with the temperature in New York’s Central Park reaching 21C, with records also being set in several other cities.
[youtube 2N0Xrk9Uyy8 650]
The Toronto city council has decided to strip Mayor Rob Ford of most of his authority, as the embattled city leader resists growing pressure to step down.
On Monday, the council transferred most of Rob Ford’s budget and many of his powers to the deputy mayor.
Rob Ford, 44, who has promised to fight the council’s decisions, criticized the vote as a “coup d’etat”.
The mayor of Canada’s largest city has faced intense pressure to resign after admitting to using illegal drugs.
In recent weeks he has also acknowledged buying illegal drugs while serving as mayor.
Rob Ford abstained from Monday’s vote, but promised “outright war” in the next election against the councilors who opposed him.
“What’s happening here today is not a democratic process, this is a dictatorship,” he told the city councilors.
The Toronto city council has decided to strip Mayor Rob Ford of most of his authority
“You are absolutely telling everybody that voted in the last municipal election that their vote does not count.”
And Bob Ford refused to apologize, saying he had done enough apologizing already.
“I’ve admitted my mistakes,” he said.
“I’m not going to sit here and go on and on and on.”
Earlier in the heated council meeting, Bob Ford ran through the gallery, accidentally knocking over city councilor Pam McConnell before catching her.
Pam McConnell was later seen holding ice to her lip.
Monday’s motion reduces Bob Ford’s office budget by 60%, and allows mayoral staff to join deputy mayor Norm Kelly, largely making Bob Ford mayor in name only.
The council does not have the power to remove Bob Ford from office unless he has a criminal conviction.
Councilor Denzil Minnan-Wong, once a Bob Ford ally but now one of his most outspoken critics, said the mayor’s conduct was embarrassing the city.
“He’s the worst spokesman for the city of Toronto right now,” he said.
The Toronto council began stripping away Bob Ford’s powers on Friday, voting 39 to 3 to prevent him from being able to dismiss the deputy mayor and taking away his emergency powers.
Despite the scandal, Bob Ford does not seem inclined to shun the spotlight.
[youtube DB8DzvgNR3Y 650]
Recent reports claim that Justin Bieber has been attacked in a nightclub in his native Canada.
Justin Bieber, 19, was mingling with patrons in a Toronto nightspot at 3 a.m. on Saturday when an angry man charged at him.
Justin Bieber has been attacked in a Toronto nightclub in his native Canada
His rival got a hold of his shirt but was prevented from tackling Justin Bieber by quick acting bouncers, who grabbed the assailant and dragged him to the floor.
In pictures shown on TMZ, Justin Bieber then appears to land some sneaky kicks while his opponent is on the ground.
According to eyewitnesses, Justin Bieber had left the safety of the club’s VIP section to mingle with ordinary clubgoers.
This is when the angry young man rushed at him, grabbed his shirt and attempted to take him to the floor.
While his assailant was escorted out of the club, Justin Bieber soon made his way home of his own accord.
According to reports, police were never called about the nightclub fracas.
Radiohead have decided to postpone part of their European tour, following a stage collapse in Toronto which killed a crew member and injured three others.
A statement on the band’s website said the group was still “dealing with the grief and shock” from the accident which killed technician Scott Johnson.
The collapse caused serious damage to equipment which would “take many weeks to replace”, the statement continued.
Seven shows in Italy, Germany and Switzerland have been postponed.
Radiohead have decided to postpone part of their European tour, following a stage collapse in Toronto which killed a crew member and injured three others
Radiohead will resume their tour on 10 July in Nimes. New dates for the cancelled shows are expected to be announced on 27 June.
“Whilst we all are dealing with the grief and shock ensuing from this terrible accident, there are also many practical considerations to deal with,” the statement said.
“The collapse also destroyed the light show – this show was unique and will take many weeks to replace.”
Radiohead said its backline set-up – a term that refers to amplifiers that typically sit at the back of the stage – had also been seriously damaged “some elements of which are decades old and therefore hard to replace”.
Canadian authorities have launched an investigation into the collapse at Downsview Park, which happened last weekend approximately an hour before the band was due on stage.