Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has welcomed the endorsement from 88 former military leaders in an open letter, his campaign has announced.
The 88 retired generals and admirals declared the Republican nominee “has the temperament to be commander-in-chief”.
Donald Trump, who has highlighted veterans’ issues during his campaign, called their support “a great honor”.
The Republican has meanwhile been dismissing claims of impropriety over a political donation to a Florida official.
The Washington Post reported on September 5 that in 2013 Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi had been considering fraud charges against Trump University.
However, Pam Bondi dropped the investigation after a $25,000 contribution to her political campaign from the Donald J. Trump Foundation.
Donald Trump was fined because he did not disclose the contribution to the US tax authorities.
The open letter released on September 6 by his campaign was signed by four 4-star generals.
The former top brass stated they believe Donald Trump is “more trusted to be commander-in-chief than Hillary Clinton”.
“We believe that such a change can only be made by someone who has not been deeply involved with, and substantially responsible for, the hollowing out of our military and the burgeoning threats facing our country around the world,” they added.
Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will take part back-to-back in a national security forum on September 7.
The forum, to be hosted by the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, will include questions from an audience of military service members.
Also on September 6, Hillary Clinton released a campaign ad featuring veterans who are critical of Donald Trump.
Hillary Clinton’s ad includes a clip of Donald Trump from July 2015 casting doubt on leading Republican John McCain’s war hero credentials.
Arizona Senator John McCain was tortured for more than five years as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese.
Despite making support for the military a signature issue in his campaign, Donald Trump has at various times drawn criticism from military members.
He was involved in a recent spat with family members of a Muslim-American soldier killed during the Iraq War.
Donald Trump, who has not served in the military, also created a stir last month when he accepted a veteran’s gift of a Purple Heart which is awarded to soldiers wounded in war.
Dylan Farrow, the adopted daughter of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, has renewed claims the filmmaker “abused” her as a child in 1992.
In an open letter, Dylan Farrow accuses Woody Allen of molesting her in a “dim, closet-like attic” at the age of seven.
Dylan Farrow, now 28, also criticizes Hollywood’s continued celebration of “a predator [who] brought chaos into our home”.
Woody Allen, now 78, was investigated over the abuse allegations at the time of the incident, but was not charged.
A panel of psychologists, appointed by US prosecutors and the police, concluded that Dylan Farrow had not been molested.
The case caused controversy when a prosecutor later said there had been “probably cause” to charge Woody Allen, but he had chosen not to, in order to protect the child.
The movie director has always maintained his innocence. He has previously accused Mia Farrow of fabricating the claims after their highly publicized break-up in 1992.
Dylan Farrowopens her letter, published on the New York Times website, by asking: “What’s your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house.
“He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he s**ually abused me.”
Dylan Farrow accuses Woody Allen of molesting her at the age of seven
Dylan Farrow, who now lives in Florida under a different name, said she developed an eating disorder and was self-harming following the incident.
“That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up,” she writes.
She said she decided to break her silence after two decades, when Woody Allen’s latest film, Blue Jasmine, was nominated for an Oscar last week.
Dylan Farrow explained that Hollywood had made her “torment worse” by turning “a blind eye” to her story.
“Each time I saw my abuser’s face – on a poster, on a t-shirt, on television – I could only hide my panic until I found a place to be alone and fall apart. But this time, I refuse to fall apart,” she says.
Dylan Farrow also takes aim against actors who have appeared in Woody Allen’s movies.
“What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?”
Last month, Diane Keaton accepted a lifetime achievement award for Woody Allen, who has a reputation for being notoriously reclusive.
Diane Keaton’s move sparked a major debate on social networks. It drew heavy criticism from Woody Allen’s biological son with Mia Farrow, Ronan, who tweeted: “Missed the Woody Allen tribute – did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?”
Dylan Farrow’s letter has already sent ripples through Hollywood.
Blue Jasmine star Cate Blanchett responded to the piece saying: “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace.”
Meanwhile, hosts at the Writers Guild Awards ceremony included references to the scandal in their puns on Saturday night.
Mia Farrow became romantically involved with Woody Allen in the early 1980s. The pair, who never married and kept separate homes, jointly adopted Dylan and her brother, Moses.
Woody Allen and Mia Farrow split in 1992 amid revelations that Allen had an affair with another adopted daughter of the actress, Soon-Yi.
The molestation allegations surfaced shortly after the breakup.
China’s most prominent activists, scholars and journalists have released an open letter urging leaders to implement political reforms, for the second time in three months.
More than 100 people signed the open letter urging Beijing to ratify an international human rights treaty.
The letter was posted on several prominent Chinese websites and blogs.
It comes just days before Chinese leaders gather for the annual parliamentary session in Beijing.
At the meeting, new Communist Party leader Xi Jinping will be installed as China’s president, taking over from Hu Jintao, completing the 10-yearly power transition.
“We solemnly and openly propose the following as citizens of China that the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) be ratified, in order to further promote and establish the principles of human rights and constitutionalism in China,” the letter said.
The ICCPR is part of the International Bill of Human Rights created by the United Nations. It calls for basic civil and political rights of individuals, including freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.
Beijing signed the treaty in 1998 but the Chinese parliament has never ratified the document.
The open letter was signed by many prominent thinkers in China, including economist Mao Yushi, legal scholar He Weifang and Dai Qing, an outspoken political activist.
In December, many of the same people also signed a strongly worded open letter demanding political reform within China, including an independent judiciary and meaningful democratic change.
“If reforms to the system urgently needed by Chinese society keep being frustrated and stagnate without progress,” December’s letter warned, “then official corruption and dissatisfaction in society will boil up to a crisis point and China will once again miss the opportunity for peaceful reform, and slip into the turbulence and chaos of violent revolution.”
China’s most prominent activists, scholars and journalists have released an open letter urging leaders to implement political reforms, for the second time in three months
The language in the more recent letter was much more conciliatory, acknowledging the difficulties of enacting meaningful political change within China while also emphasizing that signing the ICCPR would be a “feasible” goal for Chinese leaders.
Journalist Wang Kexin said he was confident China’s leaders would ratify the ICCPR during the upcoming parliamentary session, a goal he acknowledged was “very mild and conservative”.
“We don’t dare to dream that China will make a lot of progress in one giant leap,” Wang Kexin said.
“The country develops step by step and our efforts are also aimed at changing things step by step. This is the embarrassing situation we are in now.”
He did not want to identify the person who first wrote the letter and collected the signatures, blaming his reluctance on “China’s special situation”.
According to the China Media Project, a group based at Hong Kong University which monitors the Chinese media, this week’s letter was scheduled to be released on Thursday.
However, the authorities reportedly heard about the letter early, leading its supporters to bring publication forward by two days. Mention of the letter has since disappeared from many internet sites within China.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.