London Olympic organizers have apologized to the North Korean women’s football team after their images were shown on a screen beside a South Korean flag.
Kick-off at Glasgow’s Hampden Park on the first day of the Games’ sporting action was delayed for about an hour.
The men’s football competition gets under way with eight games later, including Britain v Senegal at Old Trafford at 20:00 BST.
The penultimate day of the torch relay sees the flame visit Buckingham Palace.
The flag mix-up at Hampden Park had been an “embarrassing mistake” and not the start Games organizers would have wanted, but “no great harm was done”.
As the North Korean players were being introduced before the match against Colombia, South Korean flags were mistakenly displayed in the video package.
London Olympic organizers have apologized to the North Korean women's football team after their images were shown on a screen beside a South Korean flag
The squad walked off and could only be persuaded to return when the teams were announced again with each player’s face displayed next to the North Korean flag.
Relations between the two Koreas are tense – they remain technically at war following the 1950-53 Korean conflict, which ended in an armistice.
Speaking after the match, North Korea’s coach Sin Ui Gun said: “Our team was not going to participate unless the problem was solved properly…
“Unfortunately it took some time later for the broadcast to be done again properly and we made the decision to go on with the match.”
It was not immediately clear who had produced the video shown in the stadium.
A statement released by London 2012 organizers said: “We will apologize to the team and the National Olympic Committee and steps will be taken to ensure this does not happen again.”
London 2012 spokesman Andy Mitchell said: “The South Korean flag was shown in the video package on the screen before the kick-off and the North Koreans were naturally very upset about that…
“A genuine mistake was made for which we apologize.”
The opening match in the men’s football gets under way at 12:00 BST at Hampden Park when Honduras take on Morocco, followed by Spain v Japan.
Matches are also taking place at St James’ Park in Newcastle, Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium and the City of Coventry Stadium.
In other Olympics news:
• In the first event of the Games, Britain’s women footballers beat New Zealand 1-0 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. This was one of six women’s football matches played on Wednesday
• Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall visited the torch relay in Tottenham, north London, on Wednesday. On the torch relay’s penultimate outing – day 69, which can be followed live here – the flame will pass through Downing Street and be greeted at Buckingham Palace by Princes William and Harry, and the Duchess of Cambridge
• A global investment conference being held in London on Thursday will kick off a series of business summits intended to showcase the UK and attract investment during
Spectators who attended a preview of the Olympic Games opening ceremony have been urged to keep the details secret and not spoil the surprise for others.
Thousands of people who attended a rehearsal on Monday were asked not to circulate images or videos.
Danny Boyle, the ceremony’s artistic director, reportedly addressed the audience to “save the surprise”.
About 62,000 are set to attend the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London, on Friday.
The event is expected to be watched by an audience of billions worldwide.
Spectators who attended a preview of the Olympic Games opening ceremony have been urged to keep the details secret and not spoil the surprise for others
Olympic organizers LOCOG said the technical rehearsal for the opening ceremony “went very well”.
“The reaction from the attendees has been overwhelmingly positive on social media and crucially they are still helping us to save the surprise for the rest of the nation on Friday,” it said.
People who attended the rehearsal reported that the hashtag “#savethesurprise” was emblazoned on giant screens inside the Olympic Stadium.
It later trended globally on micro-blogging website Twitter.
In other developments:
• Transport for London has apologized after people leaving the rehearsal were delayed getting home because the Central Line, which serves Stratford, was partly suspended
• The British Olympic Association says it has asked triple jumper Phillips Idowu to supply details about his injury ahead of the Games after the 2008 Olympics silver medallist pulled out of the Great Britain athletics team’s training camp
• On Tuesday, Heathrow is set for its busiest day for Olympics so far as it prepares to handle about 217,000 passengers, including some 1,200 athletes and coaches and more than 3,000 other Games-related arrivals
• Motorists have faced long queues on routes where pre-Olympics modifications have been made to road layouts
• And the Olympic torch is travelling from Kingston, in south west London, to Ealing, west London, as it continues its tour of the host city’s 33 boroughs.
Most people who attended the rehearsal appeared to obey the appeal for secrecy, although there have been reports of some images being posted on the internet before being removed shortly after.
Many took to Twitter to show their support after the rehearsal.
“I am now sitting on my seat in the Olympic Stadium. But I shall #savethesurprise and not tweet details of the ceremony. Sorry,” tweeted Dan McNeil.
And many gave positive reviews of the ceremony on the website.
One person who was in the audience, Pete Hendrick, tweeted: “If you’ve got plans Friday night, cancel them. Opening ceremony is out of this world. Danny Boyle, I salute you.”
Chris Golds, another audience member, said the event was “breathtaking” and “awe inspiring”.