James Corden’s debut on CBS’ The Late, Late Show has been praised by fans and critics.
British James Corden, 36, a relative unknown in the US, was joined by Tom Hanks and Mila Kunis for the first show in LA on March 23.
He introduced himself to the audience, saying: “However shocked you are that I am doing this job, you will never be as shocked as I am.”
A raft of A-listers also joined forces to record videos for his first show.
“I’m sure lots of people are wondering how I ended up in this seat, and I include myself in that too, but rather than tell you we thought we would show you this,” James Corden said, introducing a Charlie And The Chocolate Factory-themed sketch.
It included appearances from Simon Cowell, Eddie Redmayne and Chris Rock all devastated or furious after opening chocolate bars without the golden ticket inside, before James Corden finds the winning ticket in the street.
Further cameos from Meryl Streep, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jay Leno put James Corden through his paces.
James Corden, who was not widely known in the US before, was praised for his likeability.
[youtube 85debecPHy4 650]
Gavin and Stacey star James Corden has been confirmed as Craig Ferguson’s successor as host of CBS’ The Late Late Show.
“I can’t wait to get started,” said James Corden.
The British comedian said he was “thrilled and honored” to follow the “brilliant” Craig Ferguson and that it was “hugely exciting… to host such a prestigious show”.
James Corden, 36, will take over next year from Ferguson, who has been hosting the late-night talk show since 2005 and is stepping down in December.
James Corden has been confirmed as Craig Ferguson’s successor as host of CBS’ The Late Late Show
His appointment was widely rumored last month but has only now been confirmed by the CBS network.
James Corden’s previous hosting experience includes four stints at the Brit Awards and his presenting role on the Sky panel show A League Of Their Own.
He was recently seen alongside Keira Knightley in the musical romance Begin Again and has a role in big-screen musical Into the Woods, out at Christmas.
In a statement, James Corden said he would do his best “to make a show America will enjoy”.
[youtube tknq1K46ACo 650]
James Corden is to become the presenter of The Late Late Show, according to reports.
The actor and presenter is being lined up as the replacement for Scottish-born host Craig Ferguson and will be officially announced shortly, The Wrap reported.
James Corden is to become the presenter of The Late Late Show (photo Getty Images)
The Gavin and Stacey star’s previous hosting duties have included four stints at the Brit Awards.
James Corden, 35, is set to star alongside Meryl Streep in the Disney film, which opens in the US on Christmas Day and will go towards making him well known on the other side of the Atlantic.
His strong social media presence, which includes 4.3 million Twitter followers, is also seen a factor working in his favour.
James Corden has already had success on Broadway, winning a Tony Award for One Man, Two Guv’nors – a role he originated on the London stage.
Craig Ferguson announced in April this year that he would step down from his role in December.
[youtube JHGBEA2lLdc 650]
Sinead O’Connor said the “patronising and insulting tone” of a male researcher made her to pull out of an appearance on The Late Late Show this weekend.
Sinead O’Connor, 44, had been due to appear on the first Late Late Show of the season and have a chat with host Ryan Tubridy, who she revealed she had quite a disturbing crush on in The Sunday Independent a couple of weekends back.
Ryan Tubridy, 38, is a broadcaster, writer and songwriter and presents live shows on radio and television in Ireland. Tubridy is the current host of the long-running chat programme The Late Late Show.
In an earlier bizarre blog post, the Irish singer revealed the lack of intimacy in her life and said she is “so desperate for sex” that she is turned on by the sight of inanimate objects.
Sinead O’Connor said she will never appear on the Late Late Show again. (Getty/Splash images)
Sinead O’Connor decided to pull out her appearance on the show following a patronizing phone call from a Late Late researcher, after which she deduced that she would be stitched up in front of the viewing public.
In a today blog post, Sinead O’Connor wrote:
“Sadly I have had to pull out [of The Late Late Show] as, during the course of the conversation with the (male) researcher I was asked a number of questions which I found rude, patronising, insulting and disrespectful and which wounded me enormously and showed me it would not be either a safe or respectful environment in which to place my precious self.
“I value myself too much to allow myself to be so disrespected, patronised, and treated like a <<crazy>> person.”
Sinead O’Connor added that she will never appear on the show again and expressed disappointment that she had not received an apology, writing:
“I will never as long as I live, consider appearing on The Late Late Show again.
“And I might add that no apology or act of respect has been issued by either the presenter of the show, nor any one in a leading position on the show. I am tired of all this <<Sinead is crazy>> crap. It’s a disgrace.”