Beyonce has admitted miming during her performance of the American national anthem at the inauguration of President Barack Obama last month.
Beyonce told reporters that she was a “perfectionist” and – due to lack of rehearsal time – “did not feel comfortable taking a risk”.
“I wanted to make him [Barack Obama] and my country proud, so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track.”
“I’m very proud of my performance,” she said.
Beyonce opened the press conference in New Orleans by asking reporters to stand before performing a live rendition of the national anthem.
Millions of people tuned in to watch President Barack Obama sworn in for his second term in office on January 21, which included performances by James Taylor, Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce.
Her performance of the Star Spangled Banner at the inauguration was considered one of the highlights of the ceremony, but later reports suggested the singer had recorded her vocal.
“I am a perfectionist and one thing about me is that I practise until my feet bleed and I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra,” Beyonce said on Thursday.
Beyonce has admitted miming during her performance of the American national anthem at the inauguration of President Barack Obama last month
She said her decision to mime the track was triggered by the weather, delays and “no proper soundcheck”, adding that pre-recording is “very common in the music industry”.
“It was a live television show and a very, very important emotional show for me and one of my proudest moments,” she said.
However, Beyonce insisted she would be singing live for her half-time Super Bowl performance on Sunday – one of the most-watched TV events in the United States.
“I will absolutely be singing live. This is what I was born to do, it is what I was born for.”
The National Football League also announced that singer Jennifer Hudson would be performing America the Beautiful with the chorus from Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six adults were killed in a mass shooting in December.
Last year’s Super Bowl half-time show, performed by Madonna, was watched by an average of 114 million viewers, while Janet Jackson’s notorious “wardrobe malfunction” – in 2004 – generated a record number of complaints for broadcaster CBS.
Barbara Walters has been hospitalized after she fell last night at an inauguration party and will be unable to contribute to ABC News’ coverage of the event.
Barbara Walters, 83, only suffered a cut to her head, but has been hospitalized “out of an abundance of caution”, according to ABC News’ spokesperson.
Because of her injury, the veteran newswoman will not contribute to Monday’s second inauguration of President Barack Obama.
Barbara Walters was in Washington to cover the inauguration events and tripped last night on a step at the residence of Britain’s U.S. ambassador, Sir Peter Westmacott, Politico’s Mike Allen first reported.
Barbara Walters has been hospitalized after she fell last night at an inauguration party and will be unable to contribute to ABC News’ coverage of the event
ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said that the fall left Barbara Walters with a cut on her forehead.
Jeffrey Schneider said today that “out of an abundance of caution”, Barbara Walters was taken to a hospital to get the cut treated and to receive a full examination.
He said Barbara Walters is alert “and telling everyone what to do”, which is “a very positive sign”.
It’s unclear when Barbara Walters might be released from the hospital, which ABC hasn’t identified.
According to TV Newser, Barbara Walters will not contribute to Monday’s ceremony and could be off the air for several days.
As it stands, Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos will anchor the day’s events for the network.
Barbara Walters was TV news’ first female superstar, making headlines in 1976 as a network anchor with an unprecedented $1 million annual salary.
During more than thirty years at ABC, and before that at NBC, Barbara Walters’ exclusive interviews with rulers, royalty and entertainers have brought her celebrity status.
In 1997, Barbara Walters created The View, a live weekday talk show that became an unexpected hit.
Barbara Walters had heart surgery in May 2010 but returned to active duty on The View that September, declaring: “I’m fine!”
Even at her age, Barbara Walters continues to keep a busy schedule, including appearances on The View, prime-time interviews and her annual special, 10 Most Fascinating People.