Soldier N claimed Princess Diana was killed after a member of British SAS unit shone a light in her driver’s face causing him to crash.
The SAS soldier is said to have made the astonishing allegations to his wife after taking Prince William on an advanced driving course in 2008.
Scotland Yard reportedly decided to review the historic case 16 years after Princess Diana’s death, after interviewing the woman who insists her former husband was telling the truth last month.
The soldier’s wife, who is now divorced from him, is understood to have told police last month her husband had been teaching Prince William how to drive with SAS colleagues when he made the claims.
“We were talking about it…and I said it was sad that his mum wasn’t there to see it.
“Then he said one of the guys was responsible for the accident, for the death of Diana. I was shocked. I believed what he said,” she told the Sunday Mirror.
When the woman quizzed her husband about his theory he reportedly told her the SAS had been following Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed, who also died in the accident, and that a light was shone into the Paris tunnel before their car crashed.
Soldier N told his former wife, who revealed the conversation to her own mother years later, “an order is an order” when asked who would possibly have carried out the murder.
The unidentified woman is said to have told members of Scotland Yard the “hit” had been instructed by individuals within royal circles who did not approve of Princess Diana’s relationship with al Fayed.
She alleged a white car and motorbike were involved in the plot which enlisted the services of one of Soldier N’s former SAS colleagues.
Soldier N claimed Princess Diana was killed after a member of British SAS unit shone a light in her driver’s face causing him to crash
Dodi Al Fayed’s father, Mohammed Al Fayed has always asserted the pair’s deaths were the result of a planned murder at the hands of the British Establishment, and similarly claims a white Fiat was involved in the crash but has never been traced.
The woman and her mother reportedly met with detectives last month including a senior officer who worked on the original Operation Paget investigation into Princess Diana’s death.
The two women offered convincing accounts of what caused the 1997 crash which killed Princess Diana alongside Dodi al Fayed and driver Henri Paul in a Paris underpass.
Soldier N’s former wife insisted he had made the claims two years before the break up of their marriage at a time when he confided in her with full trust.
When asked by officers why she hadn’t reported her husband’s theory earlier the woman said she had been sworn to secrecy.
The woman’s mother first alerted authorities to the claims in September 2011 in a letter to Dyfed Powys Police after her daughter and son-in-law divorced.
She reportedly also wrote to PM David Cameron, Defence Secretary Phillip Hammond and army head General Sir Peter Wall about the Soldier N’s aggressive behavior following the breakdown of his marriage.
It is believed these correspondences contained details of the plot.
Though the woman claims to have received acknowledgements from Downing Street and General Wall, neither made any mention of Princess Diana or any suspicion surrounding her death.
In 2011 Dyfed Powys Polcie seized a gun and ammunition from Soldier N’s marital home after his mother-in-law reported his tendencies for violent behavior.
The man was jailed for two years by a military court last May after admitting illegal possession of a firearm, but was freed in July and later discharged from service.
Later that month Soldier N appeared in the court martial for his former SAS housemate, Danny Nightingale, 38, for illegal possession of a pistol and ammunition.
It was during this time the allegations about Princess Diana’s death were revealed.
An inquest into the accident found Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed died unlawfully as the result of their driver, Henri Paul, who was said to have been drinking before the crash.
Scotland Yard has contacted Prince Charles and Mohamed Al-Fayed as the police assess claims that the SAS murdered Princess Diana.
Police said they are also getting in touch with Lord Justice Scott Baker, the judge who presided over the inquest into her death.
Princess Diana, 36, Mohamed Al-Fayed’s son Dodi, 42, and driver Henri Paul, 41, all died in a crash in Paris in August 1997.
Police are currently carrying out a “scoping exercise” as they look into claims that the trio were murdered by a member of the British Military.
They have not launched a full investigation.
Royal bodyguards and MPs have brushed off accusations that the Princess of Wales’ death 16 years ago was carried out by British special forces who then “covered it up”.
The sensational allegation surfaced in the second court martial of Sergeant Danny Nightingale, the SAS sniper convicted of illegally stashing a pistol and 338 bullets in his bedroom.
The claim was contained in a letter from the parents-in-law of Soldier N, Sgt Danny Nightingale’s former housemate, which was sent to the SAS’s commanding officer in September 2011.
Scotland Yard confirmed in a brief statement this morning that they will be contacting members of the Royal family to inform them about the new developments.
“We are in the process of notifying Princess Diana’s family, the family of Dodi Al Fayed and Lord Justice Scott Baker,” a spokesman said.
Scotland Yard has contacted Prince Charles and Mohamed Al-Fayed as the police assess claims that the SAS murdered Princess Diana
Scotland Yard routinely contact relevant parties to keep them informed about what is going on when there are new developments in a historic case.
The eight-page correspondence claims Soldier N boasted it was the SAS that had “arranged Princess Diana’s death” and that it had been “covered up”.
Sergeant Danny Nightingale, 38, was found guilty last month of illegally possessing a pistol and ammunition at a Hereford house he shared with Soldier N.
Soldier N, who is serving a custodial sentence for possessing firearms at the same address, was originally reported to the police by his wife, from whom he is now separated.
The letter was sent to Soldier N’s commanding officer in September 2011 and passed to the Service Prosecuting Authority before the start of the Nightingale trial.
All references to the SAS were removed by the SPA.
The paragraph referring to the death of Princess Diana says: “He also told her [his wife] that it was the *** who arranged Princess Diana’s death and that has been covered up.”
The letter says Soldier N told his wife there is a “box which members of his unit use for private jobs”.
“They put in the box the name, address and details of what they want done and then one of them who wants to earn extra money does that job.”
When Soldier N was challenged by his mother-in-law, he is accused of saying: “Let me stop you right there – I kill women and I kill children.”
As well as hiding weapons in his house, in a “reign of terror” on his family Soldier N allegedly attacked his son after mistaking him for the Taliban.
His children were also allegedly driven around in the boot of his Land Rover and he had hung his son 30ft above the ground in a tree.
An inquest in 2008 found that Princess Diana and Dodi Al-Fayed were unlawfully killed due to the ‘gross negligence’ of driver Henri Paul, a security manager at the Paris Ritz Hotel, who had been drinking.
Henri Paul’s mother Gisele said she believed her son was murdered together with Princess Diana and Mohamed Al-Fayed when the Mercedes he was driving crashed in an underpass.
Gisele Paul, 83, said: “We believe there was a plot to kill the Princess that terrible night in August 1997.
“We know in our hearts that our son was murdered and we still live with the hope that one day the truth will be known.”
The new information was also welcomed by Mohamed Al-Fayed, who also insists the couple were murdered. He said he trusted the Metropolitan Police would investigate the new claims “with vigor”.
A Royal spokesman said there would be no comment from Prince William, Prince Harry or Clarence House.