South Korea has granted approval to Caesars Entertainment to open a “foreigner-only” casino with Indonesian conglomerate Lippo.
The first phase of the project also includes two hotels and will be built near Incheon airport outside Seoul.
Shares in Lippo surged more than 35% after the preliminary approval was announced.
In total the firms expect to invest 2.3 trillion won ($2.1 billion) in further projects over the next nine years.
South Korea has granted approval to Caesars Entertainment to open a “foreigner-only” casino with Indonesian conglomerate Lippo
South Korea currently has more than 16 “foreigner-only” casinos, meant to appeal primarily to northern Chinese.
Most of them are clustered near Seoul’s airport or on the island of Jeju, which is just over an hour away by plane from northern cities such as Shanghai and Beijing – making them a convenient alternative to Macau.
Last month, Genting Singapore – Southeast Asia’s largest casino operator by market value – announced it would build a casino on Jeju with Chinese development firm Landing International to target northern and eastern Chinese gamblers.
The project, which is expected to cost $2.2 billion, will include a theme park, shopping malls, apartments and hotels as well as the casino.
[youtube vB_S7ch4KUY 650]
Mark Johnston, who lost $500,000 at a Las Vegas casino, says he should not have to pay because he was too drunk.
The 52-year-old Californian businessman has sued the Downtown Grand for serving him drinks and lending him money while he says he was clearly intoxicated.
Mark Johnston arrived at the casino on January 30 and played at the tables for 17 hours.
Under Nevada law, patrons who are visibly drunk are not meant to gamble.
The casino, which has not commented, reportedly intends to legally pursue Mark Johnston for the debt.
A car dealership and real estate businessman, Mark Johnston lost the money at the casino on Super Bowl weekend.
Mark Johnston has sued the Downtown Grand for serving him drinks and lending him money while he was clearly intoxicated
He says the Downtown Grand served him 20 alcoholic beverages during his gambling session, on top of about 10 drinks he had consumed before even arriving at the casino.
“Look, I had some drinks at the airport,” he told CNN.
“I had a drink on the plane. You know, at some point that’s my responsibility, OK.
“But the unfortunate part about it for them [the casino] is that they have a more, bigger responsibility than I do.”
Mark Johnston added: “Just picture a drunk walking down the street and somebody goes up and just pickpockets him. That’s how I characterize it.”
His lawyer, Sean Lyttle, told the Associated Press news agency it was an “extraordinary case”.
“Someone was blackout intoxicated where they couldn’t read their cards, and yet a casino continued to serve them drinks and issue them more markers,” he said.
Sean Lyttle said his client had put a stop-payment order on the markers issued by the Downtown Grand, and was also seeking damages from the casino for sullying his name.
The Nevada gaming control board is said to be investigating the matter.
[youtube 1CSoLVs18m0 650]