Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for a bladder infection.
Prince Philip, 91, spent five nights at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary – his third hospital stay in nine months.
The duke was taken to hospital on Wednesday during the royals’ annual summer break at Balmoral in Aberdeenshire.
It is not yet known if he will be fit to attend the Paralympics opening ceremony with the Queen on 29 August.
It was a low-key exit and he looked extremely relaxed, shaking hands with the doctors and nurses involved in treating him.
Prince Philip has been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for a bladder infection
Denise Webster, a senior staff nurse, told reporters: “The duke was a very good patient, and as he left the hospital he told staff to behave themselves and he said he was going back to enjoy the rest of his holiday.”
Prince Philip has now rejoined the rest of the Royal Family at Balmoral.
Buckingham Palace had described his admission to hospital as a “precautionary measure” after the recurrence of an infection he suffered shortly before the Diamond Jubilee concert on 4 June.
The duke missed the Royal Family’s visit to morning service at Crathie Kirk on Sunday, before spending a fifth night at the NHS hospital, where he was seen by private physicians.
Doctors told the duke to rest and he did not receive any visitors during his latest stay in hospital, however his family are said to have been in contact by phone.
In June, the duke spent five nights in hospital with a bladder infection following the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames.
He missed some of the key celebrations for the Queen’s 60-year reign, including the star-studded Jubilee concert.
Prince Philip, who is the longest-serving royal consort in British royalty, also spent four nights in hospital over Christmas following an operation to clear a blocked heart artery.
In March, Prince Harry said the operation – which was successful – had given his grandfather a “new spurt of life”.
The duke went to Balmoral after attending several Olympic events, including the opening ceremony, and he also saw his granddaughter Zara Phillips’ Olympic equestrian debut.
Last week Prince Philip was said to be in good spirits when he took part in events as part of Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight.
Titanic Memorial Cruise is finished as Balmoral ship has arrived in New York, after completing its journey to mark the centenary of the Titanic disaster.
The ship left Southampton on 8 April, and traced the route of Titanic’s tragic maiden voyage.
The MS Balmoral held a ceremony above the wreck on 15 April, exactly 100 years after the Titanic sank.
Many of those on board the memorial cruise had connections to the 1,500 people who lost their lives on Titanic.
Paying passengers from 28 countries had booked tickets for the cruise, many years in advance.
Balmoral cruise ship has arrived in New York after completing its journey to mark the centenary of the Titanic disaster
The organizers had tried to recreate many aspects of the famous ship’s original journey.
This included a stop at the Irish port of Cobh, which was known as Queenstown when Titanic called there in April 1912.
Some of the passengers dressed up in period costume during their 12-day journey, and the MS Balmoral’s menu included dishes inspired by those served on board the Titanic
Several events across the world are marking today the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, including the ship’s birthplace Belfast.
A Titanic Memorial Garden – with the names of 1,512 victims etched on five bronze plaques – is being opened close to where the liner was launched.
A service is being held in Southampton where the voyage to New York began.
And at the North Atlantic site of the sinking, memorial cruise ship Balmoral is marking the time Titanic hit an iceberg.
Balmoral has arrived at the site where the Titanic sank 400 services miles (460 km) off the coast of Newfoundland on 15 April and passengers and crew are holding commemorations to mark the tragedy.
Another cruise ship, Azamara Journey, has sailed from New York to take part in the ceremony.
Descendants of the victims are expected at the services, and will lay wreaths and join in a minute’s silence in memory of all those who died.
The sinking is also being remembered in other parts of the globe.
Titanic exhibitions are being hosted in Las Vegas, San Diego, Houston and Singapore.
The world’s largest visitor centre opened two weeks ago in Belfast on the Harland and Wolff slipway where Titanic was built. The $153 million building has already attracted more than 45,000 visitors.
Several events across the world are marking today the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic
In nearby Belfast city centre, the Titanic Memorial Garden was completed this weekend, just in time for the 100th anniversary.
There is no distinction on the memorial between first class passengers and others on board. The names of the dead are simply listed in alphabetical order.
Intriguingly, two of the names have an asterisk beside them – Mr. Thomas Hart and Mr. John Horgan.
Kelly Frizell from Belfast City Council said: “The asterisk means that somebody was travelling under this passenger’s name, but they weren’t the actual passenger in question.
“Whether it’s their true identity or not, a life is a life, and they lost their life.
“There’s no other way to recognize them.
“We couldn’t have left them off.”
Then real identities of Thomas Hart and John Horgan remain a Titanic mystery.
Kelly Frizell spent almost a year researching the victims.
She said: “This is the first monument with all 1,512 names listed in alphabetical order, so it’s very significant.
“It’s breathtaking looking at such a loss. It’s emotional just looking at it.”
The plinth bearing the names is nine metres long. The flowers in the garden were chosen carefully.
Landscape architect Joy Hutchinson said: “We went for a color scheme built around blue, white, silver and green, reflecting water and ice.
“It’s to try to encourage a sense of peace and contemplation.”
In the past two decades, Titanic has become an internationally recognized brand with movies, memorabilia and commercial ventures springing up in different parts of the world.
However, the 100th anniversary is being marked with a series of solemn events, which recognize the tragic reality of the most famous maritime disaster in history.