Sony Pictures has named Tom Rothman as a replacement for Amy Pascal.
Amy Pascal stepped down as co-chair following a debilitating cyber attack that revealed her private emails.
Hollywood veteran Tom Rothman, 60, who will become the chairman of Sony’s motion picture group, spent 18 years at 20th Century Fox and helped bring Titanic and Avatar to the big screen.
He left Fox in 2012 and has been chairman of TriStar Productions, a joint venture with Sony, since 2013.
The entertainment division of Sony Corp said that Michael Lynton would remain its chief executive and chairman. Tom Rothman will report to him.
Michael Lynton said: “Tom’s creativity, strong talent relationships and track record of enduring films and commercial success are unparalleled in this industry.”
Amy Pascal, one of the most powerful women in Hollywood, stepped down as co-chair of Sony Pictures earlier this month.
She was the highest-profile victim of the November cyber attack and reportedly commented on the viewing habits of President Barack Obama in a derogatory manner in an email to producer Scott Rudin.
The attack by a group calling itself the Guardians of Peace prompted Sony to cancel the planned release of the film The Interview. It depicted the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
The group was linked with North Korea and US authorities believe the attack was retaliation for the studio’s decision to make The Interview. Amy Pascal had been one of the champions of the film.
She will start a production company backed by Sony in May that will produce new Spider-man movies, among others.
In his TriStar role, Tom Rothman has overseen several anticipated dramas including The Walk by Robert Zemeckis that stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ang Lee’s adaptation of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, a novel by Ben Fountain about the Iraq war.
Sony said Tom Rothman will remain responsible for the TriStar productions in the near future.
[youtube EgD3XjDr5JY 650]
Sony Pictures’ co-chair Amy Pascal has decided to step down following a debilitating cyber attack that revealed her private emails.
Amy Pascal will start a production company that will launch in May 2015.
She has already apologized for certain revelations that came as a result of the leaked emails.
Last month, Sony condemned the “vicious” attack, which led it to suspend the release of the film The Interview.
“I have spent almost my entire professional life at Sony Pictures and I am energized to be starting this new chapter based at the company I call home,” said Amy Pascal in a statement.
She added that her transition to a production role had been discussed “for some time”.
As part of the agreement, Sony will fund Amy Pascal’s production company for at least the next four years, and it will retain distribution rights.
Sony did not immediately name a successor to Amy Pascal, leaving Michael Lynton as the sole head of one of Hollywood’s biggest production studios.
Amy Pascal was one of the highest profile Sony names whose emails were leaked as part of the hack.
She reportedly commented on the viewing habits of President Barack Obama in a derogatory manner in an email to producer Scott Rudin.
Amy Pascal and Scott Rudin both subsequently apologized for the emails, with Amy Pascal saying in a statement at the time: “The content of my emails to Scott were insensitive and inappropriate but are not an accurate reflection of who I am.
“Although this was a private communication that was stolen, I accept full responsibility for what I wrote and apologize to everyone who was offended.”
On November 24, Sony revealed that it had been the subject of a hack by a group calling themselves Guardians of Peace (GOP).
GOP was later traced back to North Korea, who US authorities believe instituted the attack in retaliation for Sony’s decision to produce The Interview, in which North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un is killed.
The group gained access to the company’s network and stole huge amounts of internal information, including emails and copies of films, such as Annie, that had not yet been released.
Although Sony did withdraw The Interview before its planned release, it ultimately made it available to view online and allowed it to be shown at some cinemas.
The Interview made about $15 million through downloads alone over its first three days of distribution.