The piece of wreckage uncovered last week and believed to have come from one of the planes flown into the World Trade Center in the 9/11 attacks has been identified as a section of the wing, the NYPD has said.
The 5 ft piece was initially identified as a landing gear segment.
It was found by surveyors on Wednesday wedged in a narrow, rubbish-filled space 18 in wide.
Nearly 3,000 people died in the 9/11 attacks as hijackers brought down planes in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.
Five suspected al-Qaeda militants are awaiting trial for the attacks at a military tribunal at the US detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The plane part, known as a trailing edge flap actuation support structure, came from the underside of the wing, New York police said in a statement.
Authorities have not determined which of the two planes the metal piece came from.
The piece of wreckage uncovered last week and believed to have come from one of the planes flown into the World Trade Center in the 9/11 attacks has been identified as a section of the wing
The NYPDsecured the area in lower Manhattan – between 51 Park Place and 50 Murray Street – as a crime scene after the aircraft piece was found.
The location is at the site where a mosque and community centre has been proposed, three streets away from “Ground Zero” – where the twin towers once stood.
Police have taken photographs and are keeping the site off-limits until a health assessment has been made by the medical examiner’s office.
New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has said investigators would scour the space for possible human remains.
He said the piece of debris was found at about 11:00 local time on Wednesday by surveyors hired by the owner of 51 Park Place.
At 08:46 on 11 September 2001, American Airlines flight 11 hit the World Trade Center’s north tower. Seventeen minutes later, United flight 175 hit the south tower.
Although rubble from the attack was cleared in 2002, other debris has been found scattered across the area since.
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is accused of masterminding the attacks while the other four men being held at Guantanamo Bay are accused of providing support for the co-ordinated hijacking.
They are charged with conspiring with al-Qaeda, terrorism, and one count of murder for each known victim of the 11 September attacks at the time the charges were filed – 2,976 in total.
The five face a possible death sentence if convicted.
The relatives of Betty Ann Ong, a flight attendant who died in the 9/11 attacks, have criticized the film Zero Dark Thirty for using a recording of her last call.
Zero Dark Thirty features the voice of Betty Ann Ong, who was on one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center.
Brother Harry Ong told the New York Times it was “just outrageous”.
The Oscar-nominated film tells the story of the hunt and killing of Osama Bin Laden. Screenwriter Mark Boal told the New York Times Betty Ann Ong was a “national hero”.
Betty Ann Ong, a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight 11, made a 23-minute phone call to authorities from an onboard phone to give them details of the hijacking.
She is among the victims whose voices are heard during a sequence at the start of Zero Dark Thirty. Her brother said the clip was used without permission.
“I thought it was just outrageous, and totally poor judgment, and an abuse of the voices,” Harry Ong told the New York Times.
The relatives of Betty Ann Ong, a flight attendant who died in the 9/11 attacks, have criticized the film Zero Dark Thirty for using a recording of her last call
Harry Ong has requested an apology be made at the Oscars if the film wins any of the five awards it is nominated for.
He also asked the film-makers to donate to a charitable foundation set up in Betty Ann Ong’s name, include a credit for her and put a statement on its website and DVD release making it clear that the Ong family did not endorse torture, which is depicted in the film.
Mark Boal told the newspaper: “As the 9/11 commission justly proclaimed, Betty Ong is without a doubt one of our national heroes.”
In a statement, film studio Sony and Annapurna Pictures said Mark Boal and director Kathryn Bigelow had been in close contact with the families of victims since releasing the film, which was privately screened for many of them.
“Zero Dark Thirty is, in some small way, a tribute to those forever affected by the attacks,” the statement said.
A link has now been added from the official Zero Dark Thirty website to the Betty Ann Ong foundation, the Voices of September 11th organization and the 9/11 memorial site.
The movie has been at the centre of much controversy since its release, including over its depiction of torture, the links between the film-makers and the CIA and whether it was a propaganda tool for President Barack Obama’s re-election.