Barbara Walters has announced she will retire in 2014.
The ABC network said Barbara Walters, 83, has confirmed the plans on Monday’s edition of The View, the all-female daytime talk show she created in 1997.
Since her career began in 1961, Barbara Walters has interviewed Michael Jackson, Cuba’s Fidel Castro and every US president and first lady since Richard Nixon.
Barbara Walters was the first woman to anchor a daily network television news show in 1976.
“I am very happy with my decision and look forward to a wonderful and special year ahead both on The View and with ABC News,” Barbara Walters said in a statement.
“I created The View and am delighted it will last beyond my leaving it.
“I do not want to appear on another program or climb another mountain. I want instead to sit on a sunny field and admire the very gifted women – and, OK, some men, too – who will be taking my place.”
Barbara Walters has announced she will retire in 2014
Barbara Walters’ career in TV journalism began at NBC’s morning news and entertainment programme, The Today Show, which she co-hosted for 15 years before moving to rival network ABC to co-host the Evening News, a first for a female journalist.
ABC said in March Barbara Walters planned to retire in May 2014 after more than five decades as a prominent figure on US television.
On Sunday, ABC News president Ben Sherwood said: “There is only one Barbara Walters.”
“We look forward to making her final year on television as remarkable, path-breaking and news-making as Barbara herself,” he added.
Barbara Walters suffered periods of ill health over the past three years, including open heart surgery in 2010.
In January 2013, Barbara Walters suffered concussion after a fall, and was then diagnosed with chicken pox, causing her to miss more than a month of work.
Oscars 2013, hosted by Seth MacFarlane, attracted a TV audience of 40.3 million, a million more than tuned in to 2012’s broadcast.
According to the ABC network, the show – hosted by Seth MacFarlane, creator of hit TV cartoon Family Guy – drew the largest Oscar audience for three years.
Last year’s show, hosted by comic Billy Crystal, was seen by 39.3 million, while 2011’s was seen by 37.6 million.
Argo won best picture at this year’s event, while Daniel Day-Lewis was named best actor for a record third time.
According to statistics company Nielsen, Seth MacFarlane’s involvement helped boost interest among young men and the 18- to 49-year-old age group.
Figures for the latter demographic, which is much coveted by TV advertisers, were up 11% on last year, while the 18- to 34-year-old male audience saw a 34% increase.
Reaction to Seth MacFarlane’s performance has been mixed, with Rolling Stone saying he resembled a “bumbling rookie” in his first stab at Oscar host.
The New Yorker was no less scathing, saying that watching the three-and-a-half hour ceremony “meant sitting through a series of crudely sexist antics”.
Oscars 2013, hosted by Seth MacFarlane, attracted a TV audience of 40.3 million, a million more than tuned in to 2012’s broadcast
Satirical website The Onion also found itself under fire on Sunday after calling Quvenzhane Wallis, the 9-year-old star of Beasts of the Southern Wild, a “crude and offensive” name on Twitter.
Steve Hannah, the website’s chief executive, apologized to the best actress nominee, saying that “no person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire”.
It has also emerged that an Oscar-winning producer was briefly ejected from Sunday’s star-studded ceremony for throwing paper airplanes around the auditorium.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, security staff at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre took issue with Kristina Reed for recreating the action of Paperman, this year’s best animated short.
Life of Pi took home the most awards on Sunday, winning four prizes including a best director accolade for Taiwan’s Ang Lee.
Argo and Les Miserables won three Oscars apiece, with Django Unchained, Lincoln and Bond movie Skyfall receiving two awards each.