King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer and began treatment, the Buckingham Palace announced on February 5.
The Palace says the cancer was identified during the King’s recent hospital treatment for a benign enlarged prostate.
“A separate issue of concern was noted,” the Palace says, and “subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer”.
Buckingham Palace statement in full:
“During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.
“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
The Palace has not said what type of cancer the King has been diagnosed with.
King Charles, 75, has been advised to postpone public duties, but will “undertake state duties” and continue to meet Prime Minister Rishi Sunak weekly.
He is being treated as an out-patient, and is at home in London, the Palace says.
The King’s cancer diagnosis comes after more than two weeks of reports over his health. Here’s a timeline of what’s been happening:
- 17 January: Buckingham Palace announces that King Charles will attend hospital for treatment for an enlarged prostate the following week
- 26 January: The King receives his treatment for an enlarged prostate, after being admitted to the London Clinic in the morning. Queen Camilla says of her husband: “He’s doing well”
- 29 January: King Charles leaves hospital after three nights. The Palace says he will have to postpone his public engagements “to allow for a period of private recuperation”
- 31 January: The Queen says her husband is “doing his best” after hospital treatment
- 4 February: The King and Queen attend church in Sandringham, with Charles waving at well-wishers, in his first public outing since treatment
- 5 February: The Palace announces that King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer discovered during his recent treatment and he has started “regular treatments”
Prince Harry has spoken to his father and will travel to the UK from the US in the coming days.
He will be travelling alone, with his wife Meghan remaining in the US with their two children.
It’s no secret that the relationship between Prince Harry and Meghan and the rest of the royal family is strained.
Prince Harry’s last appearance at a royal occasion took place in May, during the King’s Coronation.
While Prince Harry and King Charles have had their differences, they have continued to have a relationship with the duke calling his father on his 75th birthday last year. The King also contacted Prince Harry to tell him of his diagnosis personally.
It is understood that suitable arrangements will be made if the King’s doctors advise him to minimise in-person contact.
The King is also expected to remain available for state duties, including for meetings of the Privy Council, the body of ministers and advisers that keep him up-to-date on the workings of the government.
He will continue to receive and review official red boxes of government paperwork.