Straight Outta Compton has remained at the top of the US box office for a second weekend after making its debut last week.
The NWA biopic, produced by Dr. Dre and Ice Cube, took an estimated $26.8 million, bringing its running total to over $111.5 million.
The movie’s continued success comes in the wake of Dr. Dre saying he was sorry in a recent interview to women he has “hurt”.
In other box office news, it was a second week at No 2 for Tom Cruise with Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, which took $11.7 million in its fourth week of release.
Low-budget horror sequel Sinister 2 was the highest new entry, with an estimated $10.6 million.
Hitman: Agent 47, an adaptation of the popular video game, could only manage $8.2 million, while action comedy American Ultra, starring Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg, only took $5.5 million.
North American box office Top ten:
- Straight Outta Compton – $26.8 million
- Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation – $11.7 million
- Sinister 2 – $10.6 million
- Hitman: Agent 47 – $8.2 million
- Man from U.N.C.L.E – $7.4 million
- American Ultra – $5.5 million
- The Gift – $4.3 million
- Ant-Man – $4.1 million
- Minions -$3.7 million
- Fantastic Four – $3.65 million